The University of California Observatories at the University of California, Santa Cruz welcomes the annual meeting of the Keck Observatory user community this year. The meeting will include a full day of both oral and poster presentations from the scientific partners of the Keck Observatory including UC, Caltech, UH, NASA, TSIP, and WMKO. Participants of the meeting will share recent and exciting scientific results based on observations conducted with the Keck I and Keck II telescopes on Mauna Kea.
The meeting will also provide a venue to informally discuss the current state of the Keck Observatory and its future. This will include planning for new initiatives and considering next generation instrumentation.
We hope to see you in Santa Cruz on September 18!
Xavier Prochaska (UCSC)
Jason Kalirai (UCSC)
Tom Soifer (Caltech)
Jean Brodie (UCSC)
Contact: Xavier Prochaska or Jason Kalirai (xavier[at]ucolick.org or jkalirai[at]ucolick.org)
PROGRAM draft is now available.
The 2008 Keck Science Meeting will be held in the Earth and Marine Science Building, Room 206-B. Meeting format will be a full day of short talks and posters. Talks will be selected from the proposed abstracts. Anyone may present a poster.
- Presented throughout the day in several sessions
- Selected from proposed abstracts by the scientific organizing committee (SOC)
- Deadline to submit abstract: August 31, 2008
- Sessions separated by coffee breaks and lunch (free of charge)
- All participants are encouraged to present a poster
- Poster boards with tacks will be available
- Meeting structure will allow ample time during breaks for poster viewing and interaction
- We encourage presenters to prepare a miniature version of their poster
- We will also post an electronic version on the web site if requested
Meals and Snacks
- Snacks and refreshments provided during the morning and coffee breaks
- A free lunch will be provided to all participants
- After the science sessions a reception will include choice of beverage and snacks
We encourage participants to arrive earlier and/or stay longer in Santa Cruz. Guest wireless internet is also accessible anywhere on campus via CruzNet (See CruzNet guest access guidelines). Note that CruzNet is not encrypted.
The meeting will be held in the Earth and Marine Science Building on the UCSC campus, in room 200. You may find campus maps useful for getting around UCSC. Paper maps are available (no charge) at the main entrance kiosk at the base of campus 7:00 am - 8:00 pm. Directions to the Center for Adaptive Optics, which is right next door to the ISB, are available from:
Parking: Permit Required
Follow the signs for the Keck Science meeting which will take you to the Core West Parking Structure. Drive up to the top (6th) floor. Parking attendants will collect $6.00 cash for one day's parking. Attendants will be on duty from 7:30-9:00AM.
Faculty and staff from other UC campuses are eligible for parking reciprocity when visiting UCSC. Please bring your UC permit to park for free. If you arrive after the attendants leave, you can get a permit from the office at the base of campus.
Shuttle services from the airport to campus or to your lodging are available for a fee:
Early Bird Airport Shuttle
Surf City Shuttle
Public transportation options to, from, and around Santa Cruz can be found at I Ride the Bus.
Below is a list of popular local lodging in Santa Cruz with directions, phone numbers, rates, and internet availability for some.
Some of these offer UCSC corporate rates; this option is listed on the above pages. Be sure to bring your own ethernet cable if needed in case none are available at the hotel.
Keck Science Meeting 2007
Keck Science Meeting 2006
Keck Science Meeting 2005
Keck Science Meeting 2004
Keck Science Meeting 2003
Keck Science Meeting 2002
Keck Science Meeting 2001