These pages have been updated! Go
- Q. Why is there Day and Night?
The Earth rotates on its axis once every 24 hours.
- Q. Why are there Seasons?
The Earth's spin axis is tilted with respect to its orbital plane around the Sun.
The tilting of the Earth's spin axis with respect to the
plane defined by its orbit around the Sun also leads to:
- The Sun takes a different path through the sky through the year.
- Winter daylight hours are fewer and the intensity
of sunlight is less.
- Those last points are the reasons why it is colder in the
winter. In the Northern hemisphere we are actually a little
closer to the sun in the Winter.
- Seasons are reversed in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.
- You see different stars at different times of the year.
Wed Jan 14 21:53:00 PST 1998