De (D. A.) Clarke
Card-Carrying Member of the Reality Based Community
Updates may take place at any time, links may sometimes be incomplete.
Programmer/analyst (aka software engineer) for UCO/Lick
Observatory. Currently works on: RDBMS design/maint, GUIs
for realtime instrument control, realtime control processes,
automatic code generation tools, data
visualisation, DS9 image display (adapting and expanding for local
use), hardware qual testing and regression test harnesses, server-side
cgi applications. Primary language Tcl/Tk; second languages SQL,
C. Used to work on: system management, network management, sendmail,
netcop issues. Used to write in (over the course of 2 decades):
ALGOL-W, FOCAL, PDP-8 assembler, Forth, DCL, FORTRAN. Casual acquaintance
with: Python, LISP. Hired at Lick 1980, full-time since 1981.
See also Projects,
Contact: see below
Sure beats working . . .
- Search These Pages
- This is a mini-search facility which searches only my web pages,
not the whole ucolick.org server.
- Info about Tcl/Tk at this site
- One-sentence summary: "Tcl is a great language. Check it out!"
- Next Bus
- When is the next bus home? Good question. Try this page.
- UCO/Lick Observatory
- That's where I work.
- CVS -- a beginner's guide
- By request of my friends and colleagues. This no-brainer
introduction to CVS became strangely
controversial in the Fall of 1999. [Cf Henry VI Part II,
Dick to Jack Cade.]
- Dealing with Spammers
- When I was PostMaster here I tried to deal with UCEs, spams, scams, etc. which
showed up in our local mail to the annoyance of our users. The rising incidence
of junk mail over time made it hard for me to respond to all of the incidents,
so I wrote this DIY page
for anyone who's been irritated by junk email. It is somewhat dated now
but may still be educational.
- Bus Schedules
- Bus-rider resources for UCSC staff, students, and faculty.
- Personal Home Page
- Stuff I do outside work: op/eds, rants, hobbies and that kind of
stuff. Info here about car-free living, sailing, cargo bikes, organic
gardening and more.
The UC Regents don't care if my code works for you or not, so there are no
guarantees. Read the COPYRIGHT statement on anything you download from us.
Everything you get from us is free. As software ought to be. :-)
University of California
1156 High St
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel: +1 831 459 2630
Fax: +1 831 454 2298