Last modified: July 14 2011 by JXP.
Here are some notes which may make more
sense then the following stuff.
IDLUTILS (djs) IDL package
- Environmental variables: The code(s) require that a number of
environmental variables are setup to install and run the code.
- One tends to keep all IDL codes together in their home directory
with a top level directory like ~/idl/. All of the codes
are then placed underneath this directory. I will refer to
this directory as $HOMEIDL_DIR.
- You will need to set several environment variables
named IDLSPEC2D_DIR, IDLUTILS_DIR, and XIDL_DIR
which point to the directories
for the Sloan codes and my code.
I suggest you add them right into your .cshrc file. Also, you
will need to update your IDL_PATH as necessary.
- Here are the entires in my .local_cshrc file
- setenv IDLUTILS_DIR ~/idl/idlutils
- setenv IDLSPEC2D_DIR ~/idl/idlspec2d
- setenv XIDL_DIR ~/idl/xidl
- setenv IDL_PATH +$IDL_DIR\/lib:+$IDL_DIR\/examples:+~/idl:+pro/
- Here are ones specific to HIRES and LowRedux, but you might as
well set them anyways.
- setenv LONGSLIT_DIR $XIDL_DIR/Spec/Longslit
- setenv HIRES_CALIBS 'where you put the HIRES calibs'
- Built and distributed by David J. Schlegel
- Check out the svn version maintained at LBL
- WARNING!! :: The IDLUTILS package contains the most
of the Goddard libraries (GHRS, astron). If you have an old version
of that code in your IDL path then you should remove it now.
- Once IDLUTILS is installed, then you can do
- IDL> which, 'mrdfits'
- Verify that the first (and preferably only) entry has IDLUTILS
in the path
- Second WARNING!! :: Many of the XIDL codes require the most up-to-date version (i.e. the untagged CVS version)
of the IDULTILS code. This does NOT include the tarball packages in
general. You must grab the SVN as described below.
- Checking the installation
- IDL> print, idlutils_version()
- The return should include: "NOCVS:"
idlspec2d IDL package
- Built and distributed by David J. Schlegel + Scott Burles
- Public version located here (this website is old):
- Built and distributed by Jason X. Prochaska
- A few machine-dependent tarballs are available on the XIDL
web page. I would recommend, however, that you grab the SVN
distribution (see below). This will enable you to update the
code rather easily.
- Update the code with: svn update
- Grab the files from
- The arc template files are REQUIRED
- The pixel flats are HIGHLY recommended and essentially required
- Create a Keck/HIRES/CAILBS directory somewhere
- Set the environmental variable HIRES_CALIBS pointing here
- Unpack the Arcs into a directory named ARCS under CALIBS
- Unpack the Flats into a directory named FLATS under CALIBS