- 2010 D.Sc. (h.c.), University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia
- 1969–1973Ph.D. (Astrophysics) Australian National University, Mount Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatory
- 1965–1968B.Sc. (Honors) 1st Class (Physics), University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia
- 1988 - Present Professor, Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics, UCSC
- 1988 - Present Astronomer, University of California Observatories/Lick Observatory (UCO/Lick)
- 1985 - 1987 Research Professor, Department of Physics and Astronomy Johns Hopkins University
- 1984 - 1987 Deputy Director, Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore
- 1978 - 1984 Astronomer, Kitt Peak National Observatory, Tucson, Arizona
- 1976 - 1977 Miller Fellow, Department of Astronomy, University of California, Berkeley
- 1974 - 1975 Postdoctoral Fellow, Kitt Peak National Observatory Tucson, Arizona
- 1969 - 1973 Ph.D. (Astrophysics) Australian National University Mount Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatory
- 1965 - 1968 B.Sc. (Honors) 1st Class (Physics), University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Major Activities/Achievements (Last 6 Years)
- Major ongoing programs on galaxy evolution in clusters at z ~ 1, and galaxy formation at
high redshft (from z ~ 2 ~ 6 and beyond). Four graduate students and postdocs plus a
number of major Hubble Space Telescope (HST), ST, Spitzer, Keck, VLT and Magellan
collaborations. Numerous talks at international workshops on galaxy evolution in the first
1–2 billion years. PI of HUDF09 HST WFC3/IR program—top-ranked and largest program
awarded by Cycle 17 HST TAC. Many press releases and interviews. Highly-visited
"firstgalaxies" website is #1 in Google search.
- Chair, Congressionally chartered Astronomy and Astrophysics Advisory Committee
(AAAC) from 2004 to 2008. AAAC is FACA committee whose annual report is to NSF,
NASA and DOE, to Congress and to OMB/OSTP. Set up four major Task Force studies:
Exo-Planets; Dark Energy; CMB Polarization; Dark Matter Direct Detection.
- Chair, from 2009, Thirty Meter Telescope Science Advisory Committee (TMT SAC).
- Chair, from 2009, James Webb Space Telescope Science Advisory Committee (JSTAC). I
was one of origin 1988 and 1989.
- Chair, 2010, ESO Visiting Committee
- Deputy PI, HST Advanced Camera for Surveys (ACS): Successful completion and launch
of most powerful optical imager on the Hubble Space Telescope. Improved HST’s
performance by 10X.
- Co-organizer major workshop (“Hubble’s Science Legacy”) on science issues and technical
challenges for a large space telescope successor to HST. PI of large study proposal on same
topic with scientists/engineers/astronauts from universities, NASA centers and industry.
- Chair, 1998 to 2002, Space Telescope Institute Council (STIC).
- Member, 2004 to 2006, Terrestrial Planet Finder Coronagraph Science Technology
Definition Team (TPF-C STDT)—planning search for exo-planets using space
- 2010 Scientist Member, James Webb Space Telescope Independent
Comprehensive Review Panel (ICRP) for NASA Administrator and Senator
- 2010 Chair, ESO Visiting Committee
- 2009— Chair, JWST Science Advisory Committee
- 2009— Chair, TMT Science Advisory Committee
- 2008— Co-Chair, TMT Science Advisory Committee
- 2008 Invited Speaker, European Union Astronet Final Workshop (EU Decadal Planning Study)—on "US Astronomy program"
- 2007 Invited Witness, House Committee on Science and Technology's Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics Hearing on NASA's Space Science Programs
- 2007 Review Talk on the "Highest Redshift Galaxies," Heidelberg Workshop on "Galaxy Growth in a Dark Universe"
- 2007 Invited talk and Discussion Panel Member for UC Berkeley Lyot Symposium
- 2007 Invited Speaker, EU Astronet Workshop—on “Status of US Astronomy program”
- 2007 Detailed contribution to National Academy on 2010 Astronomy Decadal Survey
- 2007 Invited Speaker, NRAO 50th Anniversary Science Symposium
- 2007 Organizer/Leader of Public Policy Session AAS Seattle on AAAC report
- 2007 Panel Participant Public Policy Session AAS Seattle on NASA Cumulative Bio-Bibliography Garth D. Illingworth Page 3
- 2006-2007 Invited to write Annual Reviews article on High Redshift Galaxies
- 2006-2007 Member, CAPP, AAS Committee on Astronomy and Public Policy
- 2006 Invited talk on High Redshift Universe at the "Texas in Melbourne" Symposium
- 2006 Developed with Dan Magee and Rychard Bouwens very popular "firstgalaxies" website.
- 2006 Extensive Interview for BBC Radio 4 with BBC radio group in visit to Santa Cruz
- 2006 Invited Speaker, SPIE, "Large Telescopes" Meeting. Talk on "US Astronomy Program and Decadal Survey"
- 2005-2007 Reports to House Science Committee staff on AAAC Annual Report
- 2005-2007 Reports to agency (NSF, NASA) management on AAAC Annual Report
- 2005-2007 Presentations at CAA, BPA, OSTP, AURA (and other meetings) on AAAC report
- 2005-2007 Editor, with committee, AAAC Annual Report for Congress and Agencies
- 2004-2008 Chair, AAAC, Astronomy and Astrophysics Advisory Committee
- 2004-2008 Member, AAAC, Astronomy and Astrophysics Advisory Committee
- 2004-2006 Member, TPF–C Science Technology Definition Team
- 2004-2006 Member, Nominating Committee, Aspen Center for Physics
- 2004 Member, APS/POPA Task Force on NASA funding for Astrophysics
- 2004 Chair, Spitzer TAC (GO TAC)
- 2004 Member, Admissions Committee, Aspen Center for Physics
- 2003-2009 General Member, Aspen Center for Physics
- 2003-2006 Part of numerous STScI press releases on science results from HST and Spitzer
- 2002-2005 Member, SScAC, NASA Space Science Advisory Committee
- 2002-2003 Member, National Astronomy and Astrophysics Advisory Committee (NAAAC)
- 2000-2008 Member, AURA Board of Directors
- 1999-2001 Member, AAS Tinsley Prize Committee
- 1999-2000 Member, HST Second Decade Study Committee
- 1999 Member, AURA President Search Committee
- 1999 Member, NGST Instrument Study Team
- 1998-2002 Chair, Space Telescope Institute Council
- 1997-2008 Member Representative, Aura (University of California Representative)
- 1997-1998 Member, AURA Board Search Committee for Space Telescope Science Institute Director
- 1996-2002 Member, Space Telescope Institute Council
- 1995- Deputy PI, HST Advanced Camera
- 1995-1996 Member, Aura Board (University of California Representative)
- 1995 HST TAC Panel on "Cosmology, Cluster and Distant Galaxies"
- 1995 Member, NRC SSB "Task Group on BMDO New Technology Orbital Telescope"
- 1995 Chair, Space Telescope Science Institute Deputy-Director Search Committee
- 1994-1995 Member, NASA HQ UVMOWG
- 1994 Presentation to "HST and Beyond" Committee on Optical/UV/IR Space Telescopes
- 1993-1999 Co-Chair, Keck Telescope Science Steering Committee
- 1993-1996 Member, NASA Planetary Systems Science Working Group
- 1993-1995 Special Invitee, NASA Keck Review Team
- 1993 Co-I. on proposal to ESA for Joint NASA–ESA development of HST Advanced Camera
- 1993 Co-I. on POST Program
- 1992-1994 Development of Deep Program at Center for Particle Astrophysics and support of Center Reviews
- 1992 HST Second Generation Instrument Review Team
- 1992 Presentation at NSF, Washington, DC on DEEP Project
- 1991-1999 Member, Keck Telescope Science Steering Committee
- 1991-1993 JPL special review panel for HST replacement camera, WFPC–2, chaired by Charles Townes
- 1991-1993 NASA Planetary Program "Towards Other Planetary Systems Science Working Group"
- 1991 Presentations on Distant Galaxy Cosmology Projects for Center for Particle Astrophysics retreats, with D.Koo and S. Faber.
- 1991 Presentation to NASA HQ Planetary Division PSSWG (Science Working Group) on Status of Keck Telescope, January 1991 PSSWG meeting in Washington, DC
- 1990-1992 Chair, NGST SEWG (Next Generation Space Telescope Science-Engineering Working Group) to oversee technology development program for future large space telescope
- 1990-1991 Co-chair, Keck Telescope Science Steering Committee
- 1990 Executive Invitee for April Launch of Hubble Space Telescope, Kennedy Space Flight Center, Florida
- 1990 Presentation to NASA UV-Visible-Relativity Management Operations Workshop Group on results of "Next Generation Space Telescope" Workshop, Washington, DC
- 1990 Presentation to NASA Astronomy Management Operations Working Group of projected "UV-Visible Space Mission Program Plan for the 1990's," Washington, DC
- 1990 Presentation to Marshall Space Flight Center Advanced Projects Group and to Upper Management on "Next Generation Space Telescope," Huntsville, Alabama
- 1989–1990 Chair, "UV-Optical In Space" Panel of Astronomy and Astrophysics Survey Committee: Pre-decade Review of 1990's Science Program, sponsored by NASA, National Science Foundation and Department of Energy, implemented under the auspices of the National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC
- 1989-1990 Chair, "UV/Optical in Space" Panel of Astronomy and Astrophysics Survey Committee
- 1989 Presentation to NASA UV-Visible-Relativity Management Operations Working Group of plans for workshop and concepts for future space observatories
- 1989-1990 Chair, "UV/Optical in Space" Panel of Astronomy and Astrophysics Survey Committee
- 1989 Presentation to NASA UV-Visible-Relativity Management Operations Working Group of plans for workshop and concepts for future space observations, Columbia, Maryland
- 1988-1989 Chair, Scientific Organizing Committee for Workshop on "The Next Generation: A Successor to Hubble Space Telescope" sponsored by NASA Headquarters and Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore
- 1987-1990 Member, Keck Telescope Science Steering Committee
- 1987-1990 Chair, Keck Telescope Segment Acceptance Committee
- 1987-1989 NASA Headquarters UV-Visible-Relativity Management Operations Working Group
- 1987 Executive Committee, Hubble Space Telescope Maintenance and Refurbishment Workshop, Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland
- 1986-1987 Co-Chair, Hubble Space Telescope Science Certification Review
Selected Publications (31 of 182 from Last 9 Years)
- Clustering of i775 Dropout Galaxies at z ~ 6 in GOODS and the UDF,
R.A. Overzier, R.J. Bouwens, G.D. Illingworth and M. Franx. ApJL, 648, L5-L8, 2006
- Spitzer IRAC Confirmation of z(850)-Dropout Galaxies in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field: Stellar Masses and Ages at z ~ 7,
I. Labbe, R. Bouwens, G.D. Illingworth and M. Franx, ApJL, 649, L67-L70, 2006
- Spectroscopic Identification of Massive Galaxies at z ~ 2.3 with Strongly Suppressed Star
Formation, M. Kriek, P.G. van Dokkum, M. Franx, R. Quadri, E. Gawiser, D. Herrera, G.D. Illingworth, I. Labbe, P. Lira, D. Marchesini, H.-W. Rix, G. Rudnick, E.N. Taylor, S. Toft, C.M. Urry and S. Wuyts. ApJL, 649, L71-L74, 2006
- Line Strengths in Early-Type Cluster Galaxies at z = 0.33: Implications for alpha/Fe, Nitrogen, and the Histories of E/S0s,
D.D. Kelson, G.D. Illingworth, M. Franx and P.G. van Dokkum. ApJ, 653, 159-183, 2006
- Galaxies at z ~ 6: The UV Luminosity Function and Luminosity Density from 506 HUDF, HUDF Parallel ACS Field, and GOODS i-Dropouts,
R.J. Bouwens, G.D. Illingworth, J.P. Blakeslee and M. Franx. ApJ, 653, 53-85, 2006
- Rapid evolution of the most luminous galaxies during the first 900million years,
R.J. Bouwens and G.D. Illingworth. Nature, 443, 189-192, 2006
- The Possible z = 0.83 Precursors of z = 0, M* Early-Type Cluster Galaxies,
B.P. Holden, M. Franx, G.D. Illingworth, M. Postman, J.P. Blakeslee, N. Homeier, R. Demarco, H.C. Ford, P. Rosati, D.D. Kelson and K.-V.H. Tran. ApJL, 642, L123-L126, 2006
- Weak-lensing Detection at z ~ 1.3: Measurement of the Two Lynx Clusters with the
Advanced Camera for Surveys, M.J. Jee, R.L. White, H.C. Ford, G.D. Illingworth, J.P. Blakeslee, B. Holden and S. Mei. ApJ, 642, 720-733, 2006
- The Space Density and Colors of Massive Galaxies at 2 < z < 3: The Predominance of
Distant Red Galaxies, P.G. van Dokkum, R. Quadri, D. Marchesini, G. Rudnick,
M. Franx, E. Gawiser, D. Herrera, S. Wuyts, P. Lira, I. Labbe, J. Maza, G.D. Illingworth,
N.M. Forster Schreiber, M. Kriek, H.-W. Rix, E.N. Taylor, S. Toft, T. Webb and S.K. Yi.
ApJL, 638, L59-L62, 2006
- Submillimeter Observations of Distant Red Galaxies: Uncovering the 1 mJy 850 μm
Population, K.K. Knudsen, P. van der Werf, M. Franx, N.M. Forster Schreiber, P.G. van
Dokkum, G.D. Illingworth, I. Labbe, A. Moorwood, H.-W. Rix and G. Rudnick. ApJL,
632, L9-L12, 2005
- UV Continuum Spectroscopy of a 6L* z = 5.5 Starburst Galaxy
C.C. Dow-Hygelund, B.P. Holden, R.J. Bouwens, A. van der Wel, G.D. Illingworth, A. Zirm, M. Franx,
P. Rosati, H. Ford, P.G. van Dokkum, S.A. Stanford, P. Eisenhardt and G.G. Fazio, ApJL,
630, L137-L140, 2005
- Constraints on z ~ 10 Galaxies from the Deepest Hubble Space Telescope NICMOS Fields, Bouwens, R. J.;
Illingworth, G. D., Thompson, R. I.; Franx, M., 2005, Ap.J.L., 624, L5-L8
- The Fundamental Plane of Cluster Elliptical Galaxies at z = 1.25,
B.P. Holden, A van der Wel, M. Franx, G.D. Illingworth, J.P. Blakeslee, P. van Dokkum, H. Ford,
D Magee, M. Postman, H.-W. Rix and P. Rosati. ApJL, 620, L83-L86, 2005
- Infall, the Butcher-Oemler Effect, and the Descendants of Blue Cluster Galaxies at
z ~ 0.6, K.-V.H. Tran, P. van Dokkum, G.D. Illingworth, D. Kelson, A. Gonzalez and M Franx. ApJ, 619, 134-146, 2005
- From z>6 to z~2: Unearthing Galaxies at the Edge of the Dark Ages,
Illingworth, G. D., and Bouwens, R. J. , in Penetrating Bars through Masks of Cosmic Dust:
The Hubble Tuning Fork Strikes a New Note, eds. D. Block, K. Freeman, R. Groess, I.
Puerari, & E.K. Block Astrophysics and Space Science Library (ASSL) vol. 319, Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004, p.619
- Galaxies at z~7-8: z850-Dropouts in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field, Bouwens, R. J.; Thompson, R. I.; Illingworth, G. D.; Franx, M.; van Dokkum, P. G.;
Fan, X.; Dickinson, M. E.; Eisenstein, D. J.; Rieke, M. J., ApJL, 616, L79-L82 2004
- A Substantial Population of Red Galaxies at z > 2: Modeling of the Spectral Energy
Distributions of an Extended Sample, N.M. Forster Schreiber, P.G. van Dokkum,
M Franx, I. Labbe, G. Rudnick, E. Daddi, G.D. Illingworth, M. Kriek, A.F.M. Moorwood,
H.-W. Rix, H. Rottgering, I. Trujillo, P. van der Werf, L. van Starkenburg and S. Wuyts.
ApJ, 616, 40-62, 2004
- Galaxy Size Evolution at High Redshift and Surface Brightness Selection Effects: Constraints from the Hubble Ultra Deep Field, Bouwens, R. J.;
Illingworth, G. D.; Blakeslee, J. P.; Broadhurst, T. J.; Franx, M., 2004, Ap.J.L., 611, 1.
- Star Formation Rate at z~6: the Hubble Ultra Deep Parallel Fields, R.J. Bouwens, G.D. Illingworth, R.I. Thompson, M.E. Dickinson, D.J. Eisenstein, X,
Fan, M. Franx, P. van Dokkum, et al, 2004, Ap. J.L., 606, 25.
- Star Formation at z~6: i-dropouts in the ACS GTO fields, R.J. Bouwens, G.D. Illingworth, P. Rosati, C. Lidman, T. Broadhurst, M. Franx, H.C. Ford,
et al, Ap. J., 2003, 595, 589
- Cloning Dropouts: Implications for Galaxy Evolution at High Redshift, Rychard J. Bouwens, Tom Broadhurst, Garth Illingworth, Ap. J, 2003, 593,
- Hubble's Science Legacy: Future Optical/Ultraviolet Astronomy from Space, ASP Conference Proceedings, Vol. 291, held 2-5 April 2002 at University of
Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA. Edited by Kenneth R. Sembach, J. Chris Blades, Garth D. Illingworth and Robert C. Kennicutt, Jr. ISBN: 1-58381-136-2,
- Issues in Early-Type Galaxy Formation and Evolution, G. Illingworth. In: Proceedings of Workshop The Dynamics, Structure and History of Galaxies, ed.:
G. Da Costa and E. Sadler, 2002, ASP Conference Series, 273, 275-288.
- Luminosity Evolution of Field Early-Type Galaxies to z=0.55, P.G. van Dokkum, M. Franx, D.D. Kelson, and G.D. Illingworth, ApJ, 553, 39L, 2001.
- The Evolution of Balmer Absorption-Line Strengths in E/S0 Galaxies from z=0 to z=0.83, D.D. Kelson, G.D. Illingworth, M. Franx, P.G. van Dokkum, ApJ,
552, 17L, 2001.
- HST Photometry and Keck Spectroscopy of the Rich Cluster MS1054--03: Morphologies, Butcher-Oemler Effect and the Color-Magnitude Relations, P.G. van
Dokkum, M. Franx, D. Fabricant, G.D. Illingworth, and D.D. Kelson, ApJ, 541, 95L, 2000.
- The Evolution of Early-Type Galaxies in Distant Clusters III. M/L_V Ratios in the z=0.33 Cluster CL1358+62, D.D. Kelson, G.D. Illingworth, P.G. van
Dokkum, and M. Franx, ApJ , 531, 184, 2000.
- The Hubble Space Telescope Key Project on the Extragalactic Distance Scale. XXVII. A Derivation of the Hubble Constant Using the Fundamental Plane
and Dn-Sigma Relations in Leo I, Virgo, and Fornax, D.D. Kelson, G.D. Illingworth, J.L. Tonry, W.L. Freedman, R.C. Kennicutt, Jr., J.R. Mould, J.A.
Graham, and J.P. Huchra et al, ApJ, 529, 768, 2000.
- A High Merger Fraction in the Rich Cluster MS1054--03 at z=0.83: Direct Evidence for Hierarchical Formation of Massive Galaxies, P.G. van Dokkum, M.
Franx, D. Fabricant, D.D. Kelson, and G.D.Illingworth, ApJL, 520, L95, 1999.
- GRB 990123 The z=1.61 Redshift from the Keck LRIS Spectrograph, D.D. Kelson, G.D. Illingworth, M. Franx, D. Magee, P. G. van Dokkum, AUC, 7096, 3,
- Luminosity Evolution of Early-Type Galaxies to z = 0.83: Constraints on Formation Epoch and Omega, P. van Dokkum, M. Franx, D. Kelson and G.
Illingworth. Ap.J. Letters, 504, L17-L21, 1998.
- A Pair of Lensed Galaxies at z = 4.92 in the Field of CL 1358+62, M. Franx, G. Illingworth, D. Kelson, P. van Dokkum, and K. Tran, Ap.J. Letters,
486, L75-L78, 1997.