I. Overview of the Code
The code was developed in the spirit of algorithms developed for the
SDSS spectral pipeline, the DEIMOS spectral pipeline, and the
echelle pipelines developed for the MIKE and HIRES spectrometers.
Unlike many of these other codes, the routines here are meant to
form a nearly black-box pipeline. This is especially true for
The general approach of the code is as follows:
- Examine the set of data files to determine image type.
- User then edits the 'plan' file.
- All of the following steps occur within one routine
- Process the flats and trace the orders
- Process the arcs and create 2D wavelength solutions
- Create a slit profile
- Process the object frames (flatten, CR reject)
- Identify and trace the objects in the slit
- Sky subtract
- Correct for flexure using sky lines
- Coadd multiple exposures
- Create a sensitivity function from a standard
II. Installing the Software
The code relies on several IDL packages in addition the routines
specific to this pipeline.
- The SDSS codes
(both IDLUTILS and idlspec2d),
- The XIDL package built by JXP.
More detailed notes for obtaining and installing these packages can
be found here: install notes. We wish
to emphasize that the code expects the most up-to-date versions of
the Sloan codes. Users with old versions of any of these packages beware!
III. Instrument Supported
Beta Quality (best)
Additional instruments (less supported):
- Lick/KAST Spectrometer
- Blue side: G1, G2, G3 grisms
- Red side: 600/5000, 600/7600, 300/7500,1200/5000 gratings
- MMT/BCS Spectrometer
- 800 grism
- 831/3600 grism
- 831/3900 grism
- 300 GPM
- Keck/LRIS Spectrometer
- Both longslit and mutli-slit modes are supported
- Blue side (longslit): 300/5000, 600/4000, 1200/3400 grisms
- Blue side (multi-slit): 300/5000, 600/4000, 1200/3400 grisms
- Red side: All gratings both multi-slit and long-slit
- Gemini/GMOS Spectrometer
- B600, R150, R831, R400
- Includes multi-slit
If you have a longslit spectrum you wish reduced which is not included
in the above lists, contact JH or JXP. Odds are we can add it to
the package in quick fashion. Multi-slit is more challenging, but
will also be considered.
- Keck/DEIMOS Longslit
- Gemini/NIRI, GNIRS
IV. Developing the Code + Bug Fixing
We do encourage all users to consider ways to improve the code
and to suggest them to us. Of course, we'd also like to hear about
bugs. Please do make an effort to verify it is a bug in the code
as opposed to 'user error'. Along those lines, if you are a novice
to IDL, we suspect you will have many more 'user errors' than bugs
This research is supported, in part, by NSF grant AST 03-07408.
last modified May/2007