Observing images courtesy of Elinor Gates.
Doors open 1 hour prior to event start time.
Summer Visitors Program #1
- Friday, June 6, 2014 - 8:30 pm (SOLD OUT)
- Speaker: Raja Guhathakurta - University of California at Santa Cruz
- Talk: "Are Galaxies Island Universes?"
Summer Visitors Program #2
- Saturday, June 7, 2014 - 8:30 pm (SOLD OUT)
- Speaker: Michael Bolte - University of California at Santa Cruz
- Talk: "First Light in the Universe"
Summer Visitors Program #3
- Friday, June 20, 2014 - 8:30 pm (SOLD OUT)
- Speaker: Aaron Romanowsky - San Jose State University
- Talk: "The Luminous Search for Dark Matter"
Summer Visitors Program #4
- Saturday, July 5, 2014 - 8:30 pm (SOLD OUT)
- Speaker: Tony Misch - Lick Observatory
- Talk: "A Keen Delight: Lick Observatory's Treasure Trove"
Summer Visitors Program #5
- Friday, July 18, 2014 - 8:30 pm (SOLD OUT)
- Speaker: Graeme Smith - University of California at Santa Cruz
- Talk: "Two View of the Moon"
Summer Visitors Program #6
- Friday, August 1, 2014 - 8:30 pm (SOLD OUT)
- Speaker: Claire Max - University of California at Santa Cruz
- Talk: A Sharper Image: Nearby Galaxy Mergers Seen with Adaptive Optics"
Summer Visitors Program #7
- Friday, August 15, 2014 - 8:00 pm (SOLD OUT)
- Speaker: Steve Croft - University of Californa at Berkeley
- Talk: "Snacking, Gorging, and Cannibalizing: The Feeding Habits of Black Holes"
Summer Visitors Program #8
- Friday, August 29, 2014 - 8:00 pm (SOLD OUT)
- Speaker: Andreas Burkert - Ludwig-Maximillians University of Munich
- Talk: "A Close Encounter with the Massive Black Hole in the Galactic Center"
Summer Visitors Program #9
- Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 8:00 pm (SOLD OUT)
- Speaker: J. Xavier Prochaska - University of California at Santa Cruz
- Talk: "Cosmology in the 21st Century"
UCO home > Public Information > Summer Visitors Program
Observe Through the Telescopes
Our Summer Visitors Program is held annually in the summer. Join us and observe through the Great Lick Refractor and the Nickel Reflector.
You might also want to attend Lick's Music of the Spheres concert series.
Tickets will be on sale for FOLO Members and the general public in April 2015.
- Ticket Price is $9.50 + service fee
- Limit of Six (6) Tickets per Household per Night
- Tickets are nonrefundable
- Tickets go off sale at 12pm on the day of the event.
- Tickets will not be available at the door.
- Doors open 1 hour prior to event start time.
Stay tuned for the Summer Visitors Program Dates for 2015.
Lick Observatory hosts a Summer Visitors Program, inviting the public to observe through both the 36-inch Great Lick Refractor and Nickel 40-inch Reflecting Telescope. Each evening also features two speakers, who present programs even if clouds or fog prohibit viewing.
Lick astronomers present multimedia lectures on their research or topics of current interest. A "History of Lick Observatory" talk is also presented. Local amateur astronomers outside the buildings provide additional telescopes and informal astronomy discussions.
Program begins with the first talk at sunset. Observing begins when it gets dark and continues until everyone has had the opportunity to view through both telescopes.
Please note: We regret that due to the historic construction of the telescope domes and safety concerns, neither the Lick 36-inch refracting nor the Nickel 40-inch reflecting telescopes are wheelchair accessible at this time. Those who have difficulty navigating stairs may also find the telescopes inaccessible. Funds are being raised through the Friends of Lick Observatory to repair the elevating floor of the Lick 36-inch telescope to re-enable handicap access.
Please note: Due to safety regulations, children must be at least 8 years of age for admission. No exceptions. Due to late hours the program may be difficult for children under 12.
For Lick Public Programs e-mail updates:
Sign Up on Lick Public Event Mailing List